“I have a dream”
Martin Luther King
With these four words Martin Luther King started to change the course of history not just for the USA but for the world. He had a dream. A powerful dream! Since he spoke those words. African Americans have moved from the back of the bus to now running for President of the USA.
As a CEO or a senior executive, we all have a dream for our company. What it might be. What it could be. What it can be. We don’t call it a dream. We give it a business name like vision, or mission or objective. But it is still a dream.
Martin Luther King had a dream. He made it a reality though the following:
* A simple message that was logical and emotional. It touched the mind and the hearts of Americans. All Americans. In business, we call this branding.
* A carefully laid out plan that spelled out the strategies and specific actions that needed to be taken. He had a written strategic plan that was known to all so that it focused energy and resources.
* A strong team supported by experts who helped craft the specifics of a plan and then implement it. He chose his team carefully. He brought in outside experts who had expertise and experience to accelerate the progress. He knew he couldn’t do it alone and it is always the people that make the difference
* A passion which enthused all of his followers to overcome tremendous difficulties.
* A set of leadership skills which had been honed over the years. He had coaches, advisors and mentors.
What is your dream for your company?
This year don’t make New Year’s resolutions. Craft a dream with the plans and the people to make it come true.
“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.”
Maver Management Group